Firework Safety Tips for July 4th
Celebrating this July 4th? Did you know that 40% of firework related injuries are with men between the ages of 25-44. This is primarily because they are the ones setting them off. Here are some some safety tips to kick off your celebration with a bang.
- Start off safely by only purchasing fireworks from a licensed retailer in states where fireworks are legal.
- Always light fireworks using an extended match or lighter.
- Never light more than one firework at a time.
- Have a bucket of water or a hose handy in case of a fire emergency.
- Ensure that your audience is removed from the path of the fireworks. According to Consumer Affairs, 32% of injuries come from spectators.
- Never let anyone under the age of 21 handle fireworks.
- Never let a child under the age of 5 have access to sparklers.
- Never go near a firework that has been lit. If it does not go off, make sure you put water on it before approaching. You never know if the ignition has been delayed.
- Always light fireworks on a clear and level surface.
- Never let someone who has been drinking ignite fireworks…this is a recipe for disaster!
Whether it is the 4th of July or just a celebration with fireworks, always remember safety first. If an accident does occur always call 911. Keep in mind that fireworks are made from chemicals, and burns need to be treated by a professional.
The Maronda Homes family would like to wish everyone a safe and enjoyable July 4th! We hope you and your family & friends enjoy this holiday to the fullest!