Looking to enjoy some Oktoberfest Festivities?
Oktoberfest is an annual fall festival that takes place in Munich, Germany. The celebration now takes place in September because of better weather conditions. It typically runs from late September through early October. It is one of the most famous events in Germany and has become a popular celebration across the world. It is typically associated with the consumption of large amounts of beer and traditional German foods. Despite the perception linking Oktoberfest to beer drinking, it can also a family-friendly festival with carnival rides, carousels, roller coasters, musical showcases and parades. Most of these events are family friendly.
Another way to enjoy Oktoberfest is by visiting your local microbrewery. All most all microbreweries and craft breweries have an Oktoberfest event. What better excuse do you need to support a local business while having fun at the same time! Many breweries will have their own version of an Oktoberfest lager as well as other seasonal beers including pumpkin ales.
Lastly, you can always recreate Oktoberfest right in your own home. Here are a few ideas to hosting your own event.
- Beer tasting – Pick up several varieties of Oktoberfest and Pumpkin beer for your guests to try. Also pick up a seasonal favorite, local apple cider, as a non-alcoholic alternative.
- Outdoor tents – Traditionally Oktoberfest is an outdoor activity with most of the celebration occurring under tents. It is a great time in northeastern U.S. to enjoy the Autumn weather before temperatures drop. The tents will also provide cover in case of rain. If you live in a colder climate consider outdoor heaters for your party.
- German Food – German food is relatively inexpensive. You can serve a variety of German sausages (Weisswurst is a Munich favorite), pretzels, potato pancakes. Don’t forget the German chocolate cake and/or apple strudel for dessert.
- Oktoberfest decor includes a blue and white diamond pattern. If you are brave try on some lederhosen for the event.
- Music – traditional German music sets a great atmosphere. A Bavarian-style (oompah) band or strolling accordion player is a great touch to any Oktoberfest Celebration.