Vacationing with family and friends is in full swing during the months of summer. In fact, studies show that more than half of all American’s travel during the summer. Statistics prove that home invasions increase at least 18% in July and August. But, did you know that 9 out of 10 break-ins can be prevented? Explore these simple Do’s & Dont’s, and ensure peace of mind while you are away.
Do’s: Simple steps towards home safety
- Make sure the exterior of your home is well lit.
- Ensure that all windows and doors in your home are locked and secured when you leave. This may sound obvious, but in the haste of leaving for vacation something as simple of this could be easily overlooked.
- Unplug your automatic garage door before you leave so that thieves are not able to open it with a universal remote. If you have a man-door, ensure this is secure as well.
- Hire a lawn care service while your are away. An unkempt yard is a dead give-away that nobody is home.
- Put some of your lights on a timer. Various lighting in the evening makes it look like you are relaxing at home.
- Take a good look at your home from the exterior. Is your expensive TV easily visible or your electronics easily observed? If so, find a way to block it from view.
Dont’s: Simple precautions towards home safety
- Don’t get caught up in how we were brought up! Never hide a key somewhere outdoors that could be found by thieves.
- If you plan to leave your car parked in long-term parking at the airport, never leave a GPS in your car. Thieves have been known to use this as a means to find a vacant home to burglarize.
- Wait until you return from vacation to post all those family pictures. Don’t announce to the world that you will be leaving on vacation via your blog or social media.
- Are you blinds normally open? If so, leave them open, unless they are offering a good view that you are not home. A totally closed looking home is a red flag!
Vacationing is fun! These tips can relieve any worry you may have about your home.
Maronda Homes currently has 27 communities throughout the North, South, East, and West Hills of Pittsburgh. Maronda provides the new home customer with living options as low as the $170’s for an innovative town home design, up to a luxury 6 bedroom single-family home offering over 5,000 sq. ft. No matter which community you choose to explore, you are guaranteed to be greeted by a friendly face waiting to share their expertise with you. In addition, Maronda values its Realtor partners throughout the Pittsburgh area. They understand the importance of referrals in the Realtor community, and it’s their commitment to create long-lasting relationships with the areas Realtors.
A new home is only an appointment away when you visit MarondaHomes.com.