Are you looking for something to do this weekend? There are many things to do in the North Florida and South Georgia areas every weekend but, for those who like live music festivals, there is a special opportunity this weekend on Amelia Island. It is the 2012 Amelia Island Blues Festival, September 14th, 15th, and 16th. This three-day music festival features local and regional musicians and bands and is a must see for blues fans of all ages. Northeast Florida has a rich musical history that sprouted many national and international artists. Whether we’re talking Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Outlaws, Frank Zappa and many other blues based performers hail from this part of the country.
Amelia Island is one of the southernmost of the Sea Islands, a chain of barrier islands that stretches along the east coast of the United States from South Carolina to Florida. It is 13 miles long and approximately 4 miles wide at its widest point. Amelia Island is situated off the coast in Nassau County, Florida, south of Cumberland Island, Georgia. Fernandina Beach and Amelia City are both located on the island. Named for Princess Amelia, daughter of George II of Great Britain, Amelia Island is rich in history and tradition. The island has frequently changed possession. During its long history it has been under eight different flags – French, Spanish, British, Patriot, Green Cross, Mexican, Confederate, and United States – the only location in the United States to have done so.
Early in 2010 a group of 5 locals got together to discuss the possibility of putting an annual blues festival together in September of every year. The first festival was staged in September 2011 and became an instant hit in blues and music circles with thousands of visitors. The finale of the two day Amelia Island Blues Festival event packed with regional and national talent, was a jam with headliner Albert Castiglia, Hurricane Wilson and 16 year old blind prodigy Conrad Oberg in a tribute to Pinetop Perkins and Willie Big Eyes Smith, legendary blues greats who unfortunately passed away in 2011. The crowd went wild and a festival was born.
The lineup for the 2012 festival includes headliners such as Shane Dwight on Friday Night, Shemekia Copeland on Saturday and David Gerald from Detroit on Sunday.
Below is a list of the “Festival Etiquette”
- Bring a comfortable beach chair and mark it with your name or other identifier.
- Load and unload your chairs and bags at the designated zone near the main entrance before parking your vehicle
- Ride your bike to the event and lock it to a fence
- Use the provided transportation to get to the festival. Festival parking will be the grassy area at School Board Lot (across the street from Central Park) ($10.00 per vehicle)
- Adults should remember that this event provides many hours of national musical talent, so pace yourself and drink responsibly
- Take a cool break at the beach. Festival patrons will be permitted to leave the gated festival area and return as often as they like
- Use of nuisance items such as silly string, poppers, or water guns is prohibited
- The Fernandina Beach Police Department will be on-site and will enforce all applicable laws and ordinances
- Only certified service animals are permitted within the festival area
- No bikes will be allowed within the festival area
- Only authorized vendors and performers, including mascots and costumed characters, will be permitted within the festival area
- In accordance with City of Fernandina Beach Code of Ordinances, Section 58-9 and Land Development Code 7.01.05, overnight parking of RV vehicles is prohibited on City streets and public right of ways
- No personal music or loudspeakers will be allowed within the festival area
- No distribution of literature will be allowed, nor will billboards or sandwich signs be allowed within the festival area.
Maronda Homes has been building quality concrete block homes in Florida since 1972. They have several communities in the North Florida and South Georgia region that are just minutes from Amelia Island. These homes feature superior design, flexibility in layout and features, as well as Energy Star compliant construction and products. Stop in on your way to the festival and see what Maronda has to offer!