It’s easy to forget about simple home maintenance items with our busy lives, but a little time will save you money by avoiding future repairs and by maintaining the energy efficiency of your home. Here are a few simple maintenance items that you don’t want to forget.
- Lubricate garage door parts with Silicone spray – Keep your garage door operating properly and opening and closing smoothly by lubricating the hinges, rollers and tracks.
- Check and touch up caulking around you home – To prevent moisture from getting into the seams and joints of your home, inspect them twice a year for deteriorating caulk.
- Window caulking – Weather and time will shrink the caulk around your windows. To reduce air infiltration and maintain energy efficiency in your home, routinely check your windows for areas that need to be re-caulked.
- Sweep off fresh air intake and dryer vents – These vents maintain interior air quality throughout your home and vent out dryer exhaust. To keep these systems running properly, use a brush or a broom to clean off any dust or debris.
- Flush out your hot water tank – This should be done every six months to get rid of sediment and mineral deposits, which will help your water heater operate more effectively.
- Have your heat and air system serviced – A professional should service your air-conditioning/heating system in the spring & fall in order to keep it operating at maximum efficiency.
Keep your home in tip top shape by taking care of these often-neglected simple home maintenance items. Doing so will save you money and will extend the life of the mechanical systems inside your home.