Be Prepared for all of Your Summer Fun
Can we shout a loud “Woo Hoo” for summer! Tis the season for fun in the sun. Don’t let summer catch you unprepared.
- Protect Your Skin: I can’t stress the importance of sunscreen. The threat of skin cancer is serious for you and your children. Primary application is important, but re-application is most important. If you do happen to get a sunburn, remember to treat with aloe to cool the burn and prevent blistering and peeling. Don’t forget about the bugs. I find skin-so soft to be highly effective, natural and it smells appealing!
- Stay Alert Around Water: Whether there are children present or not, you must practice water safety when near any body of water. There are too many accidental deaths each summer due to neglect. Always be sure to have enough floatation devices readily available. If visiting a public pool be sure there is a licensed life guard on duty. Taking a CPR class is a fantastic idea if you have the time. There is no such thing as being too prepared.
- Ride Safe: ALWAYS wear a helmet when riding a bike. It is imperative to protect our heads from injury. If you or your child is just learning how to ride a bike, scooter or skateboard then you might want to consider elbow and knee pads also.
- First Aid Readiness: I always carry a basic first aid kit. Summer is the season of skinned knees. Keep those boo-boos clean with antibacterial spray and a band-aid. You can purchase an assembled kit from most local surplus stores or you can create your own from supplies you keep at home.
- Beat the Heat: Keeping cool is essential to summer fun. Be sure to dress for the temperatures. Overheating can lead to nausea, dizziness and in extreme conditions, heat stroke. If you do not have air conditioning in your home, be sure to have fans near-by. I have also found a spray bottle with cold water to be refreshing if you are in need of a spritz!
If you are prepared, you can create a summer filled with enjoyable memories with your friends and family!