Your new home is the place where you keep your most treasured possessions – but do you know exactly what you have, what it’s all worth, and what it would cost to replace if you lost it? There are some very good reasons for creating a comprehensive home inventory (which is simply a list of your personal possessions):
- To know exactly how much insurance to buy, so you are not over- or under-insured.
- To have documentation for law enforcement should you be the victim of a burglary.
- To have documentation for your insurance company should you ever need to file a claim.
- To substantiate a tax deduction should you ever need to claim a loss on your income tax.
- To simply keep track of all the things you’ve accumulated over the years.
The ideal time to create a complete home inventory is when you move into your new home. The Insurance Information Institute (III) says you can have a complete inventory in just a few simple steps:
- Get started. There are many ways to create a home inventory. Decide on a method or approach that works for you. You can record items room by room, category by category (furniture, electronics, etc.), from newest items to oldest or from most expensive purchases to less expensive ones.
- Take the inventory. There are several ways of recording your information. You can write everything down in a notebook. You can take pictures of every room and major items. You can walk through your home with a video recorder describing the contents as you go along.
- Store your inventory in a secure location. Be sure a complete copy of your inventory is stored outside your home, either with a friend, in a safe deposit box or online.
- Keep your inventory current. When you make a significant purchase for your new home, add the information to your inventory while the details are fresh in your mind. Once a year, review your inventory and consider adding updated pictures or images if you’ve had many changes.??
Maronda Homes is located in Ohio, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Florida with communities conveniently located throughout multiple cities. For more information on Maronda Homes you can contact us here as we are here to help you with your new home search.