It seems like only a short time ago that mortgage rates were significantly higher, renting was more appealing than owning, and buying a home with less than 5% down was unheard of.
Now is the perfect time to buy with mortgages at an all time low! Wondering how much of a mortgage you can afford? No problem! With so many resources online like “Mortgage Calculators”, the process of buying a home and researching has become drastically simplified.
Here is a break down of how owning a home can benefit your life~
- Build equity — your wealth will increase as you gain more home equity
- Gain tax advantages — mortgage interest is tax deductible as per IRS code
- Stabilize your payments — monthly payments are relatively steady if your loan has a fixed interest rate, while your landlord can increase the rent
- Have a secure place for your family to live — a home provides a permanent place where your family can live and grow, and you can decorate or expand a house the way you like to create your dream home
- Gain a sense of community — homeowners often are more involved in the well-being of their communities; many homeowners work together for better schools and less crime
Maintenance costs — it takes work and money to keep a home in good condition
- Ties up your cash — selling the house may not be possible during the first few years of ownership; moving is more difficult and complicated and you may not have as much flexibility in choosing a new job location
- Can fluctuate in value — there is no guarantee that your home will increase in value; it could decrease in value
- Obligates your finances — when you buy a home, you are obligated to a set monthly payment
Not sure if you are ready to end up in one place? That is the great thing about owning a home vs. renting. If a home owner decides to move elsewhere, or take an extended vacation, renting their home is a great way to gain passive income.
For other great articles and news for home buyers please “Like” our Facebook page to stay in the loop!